Big Brothers Big Sisters Lehigh Valley is making changes to improve this year’s Bowl for Kids’ Sake fundraising event which will create more of a festive party atmosphere for attendees. Held Sunday, March 4 at Parkway Lanes in Allentown, the annual event is the nonprofit mentoring agency’s largest fundraiser each year.
• The bowling format will now be nine pins. Any bowler hitting nine pins or higher on their first throw will count as a strike. This means kids will have a better chance for reaching a high score.
• Bowling will take place for one hour, with fifteen minutes in between each game to switch teams and reset.
• Each of the eight bowling timeslots between 9 am and 6 pm will have a fun theme with attire suggestions for teams and themed DJ music. Examples include Totally 80’s, Sock Hop, Team Spirit and more.
• Entertainment will include a DJ, magician, and balloon twister.
• A silent auction and raffle with great local prizes has been added to the event.
• There will be team prizes for highest score, best Phantoms attire, and more.
“The fundraising goal for BFKS 2018 is $144,000, which will help more than 500 children stay in school, graduate, build confidence, and achieve success in life thanks to mentoring relationships we create for them with volunteer Big Brothers and Big Sisters in the community,” said BBBSLV CEO Susan Bartels. “All the money raised stays here in the Lehigh Valley. “Companies, friends, and families are encouraged to put together a team and sign up on our web site. We’re hoping to register 280 teams of 4 to 5 people each.”
Bowlers are asked to set a personal goal of fundraising $75 for the event, for which they will receive an event t-shirt, a pass for one free game of bowling at Parkway Lanes that day, and food and beverages. Bowlers who raise $90 will also receive a BBBSLV thermal tumbler. Additional fundraising tiers include prizes like gift cards, and even a Lehigh Valley Phantoms party with mascot MeLVin. The event registration deadline is February 23. http://donate.bbbslv.org/campaigns/5761-2018-bowl-for-kids-sake
Bowl for Kids' Sake is BBBSLV’s largest annual fundraiser for kids, with nearly 300 teams of 4 or 5 players each participating. The money raised through this fundraiser will be used to support quality mentoring matches between adult volunteers and youth facing adversity in Lehigh Valley.
This year’s BFKS Honorary Chairman is Rob Brooks of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, which is one of the event’s Title Sponsors. Service Electric Cable TV is another Title Sponsor, with PPL Electric Utilities and Stoudt Associates CPA as Framing Sponsors. Sponsorship opportunities are still available at a variety of levels from Lane Sponsor to Title Sponsor. https://www.giveffect.com/checkout_sponsorship/5761
The Big Brothers Big Sisters mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. For over 40 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters Lehigh Valley has partnered with parents/guardians, schools, corporations, and others in the Lehigh Valley to pair children (Littles) qualified, trained volunteers (Bigs) and monitor these one-to-one relationships throughout their course.
Thank you to the #BBBSLV staff, board members, team captains, and especially MeLVin of Lehigh Valley Phantoms, for joining us at tonight's Bowl for Kids' Sake kickoff party at Parkway Lanes.
WHAT: Big Brothers Big Sisters Lehigh Valley will hold a kick off event for its annual Bowl for Kids’ Sake fundraising event. A short presentation will feature changes made to this year’s fundraiser for the nonprofit mentoring organization. The changes are designed to make the Sunday, March 4 bowling tournament more of a party atmosphere for families. Highlights include themed timeslots each hour (Totally 80s, Sock Hop, Team Spirit, etc.) with a DJ playing themed music; an all-day-long raffle; a silent auction; and additional entertainment throughout the day.
Bowl for Kids' Sake is BBBSLV’s largest annual fundraiser for kids, with nearly 300 teams of 4 or 5 players each participating. The money raised through this fundraiser will be used to support quality mentoring matches between adult volunteers and youth facing adversity in Lehigh Valley. The goal for BFKS 2018 is $144,000, which will help more than 500 children stay in school, graduate, build confidence, and achieve success in life. All the money raised stays here in the Lehigh Valley. The event registration deadline is February 23. http://donate.bbbslv.org/campaigns/5761-2018-bowl-for-kids-sake
This year’s honorary BFKS Chairman is Rob Brooks of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. The Phantoms are also the event’s Premiere Sponsor. The kick-off event is free and open to the public, so all are invited to attend.
WHEN: Tuesday, January 23 at 5:30 pm
WHERE: Parkway Lanes, 1630 S.12th Street, South Allentown
WHO: The Big Brothers Big Sisters mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. For over 40 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters Lehigh Valley has partnered with parents/guardians, schools, corporations, and others in the Lehigh Valley to pair children (Littles) qualified, trained volunteers (Bigs) and monitor these one-to-one relationships throughout their course.
There are more than 200 children on our Waiting List who want a Big Brother or Big Sister but we don't have enough community volunteers to Match them with.
Make 2018 a Year of Mentoring for a child in your #community by volunteering to Be a Big with BBBSLV.
Go here to learn more:
During the cold winter months of the school year it can be easy for Bigs and Littles to run out of activity ideas. After-all there are only so many rounds of Uno or Connect Four that can be played!
Here are some activity suggestions that might help shoo away those winter-time blues.
• Check out the headlines of the latest newspapers from around the country.
• Best and Worst moments of the day.
• Keep a journal.
• Research and talk about famous people who used their abilities to get ahead.
• Make greeting, get-well, or holiday cards to give to other people.
• Make your own board game.
• Look at a map and talk about places you would like to visit.
• Look at age appropriate magazines read the newspaper, including the want ads.
• Play sports in the gymnasium.
• Work on the computer in the media center.
• Use post-it notes to write down all the things you like about yourself, like to do or would like to learn how to do, etc.
• Write stories together.
• Do a jigsaw puzzle.
• Talk about the best things and most challenging things from the prior year or first half of the school year and what you’ll do to overcome challenges this year. • • Build a model.
• Bring in a photo album, and share pictures of your family, house, and pets.
• Discuss favorite hobbies.
• Read the same book and talk about your favorite parts.
• Write a letter to a former teacher, a cousin or relative in another community, an old friend, the editor of a local newspaper, etc.
• Tell your Big/Little about your work and how you reached your position.
• Complete a resume together.
• Give your Big/Little a job application to complete.
• Administer a career interest inventory.
• Offer interviewing ideas and discuss proper dress codes for work.
• Discuss creative ways to make and save money
• Discuss the college selection process and entrance examinations.
• Ask the questions for the driver’s license test.
• Listen, listen, listen.
Any time is the perfect opportunity to start the new year off right by making a donation to support kids in need in the Lehigh Valley by making a donation to BBBSLV online here:
Check out the revamped homepage of our web site! The new design makes information easier to find in a more attractive layout. We ♥️ it!
So far 10 teams have registered for our annual Bowl for Kids' Sake bowling tournament on March 4 at Parkway Lanes in Allentown, raising over $8,000!
Help us reach our goal for this important fundraiser by signing up your team here:
We are EXCITED to have a special #BBBSLV sundae featured during January at The Udder Bar in Allentown! It was created by one our Littles. Order it on your next visit this month and owners Hayley and Mike DeLong will donate 10% of proceeds to us!
January's Udderly Grateful Sundae is Nutty 4 U ice cream, chocolate ice cream, vanilla soft serve, chocolate peanut butter ice cream, Reese's Pieces, marshmallow sauce, peanut butter sauce, whipped cream, and a cherry on top.
If you network on LinkedIn, please follow the new BBBSLV nonprofit agency page. Thanks!